At the time of its construction it was the largest bridge of its kind in Australia, and it still remains the second largest both in total length and length of span of the reinforced concrete bridges built before World War II in Victoria and probably Australia.
Constructed by Reinforced Concrete & Monier Pipe Construction Co. of which Mr John Monash (later Sir John) was a director and chief design engineer, and was responsible for the design of this bridge, Mr Percy Fairway of the company prepared the working drawings.
The bridge was officially opened on May 24 1910.
The Benalla Bridge was gazetted by Heritage Victoria on August 18 1994. In 1998 the bridge was entered on the Register of Australian Historic Bridges.